Saturday, July 26, 2014

Forensics... and not the murder mystery kind.

One of the big parts of my job this year was to work with the forensics (speech and debate) team for our school.  Yeah, yeah, I know I’m a nerd… it’s hard to break away from it all, though!  In fact, I think this year marked my 10-year anniversary of beginning speech-related activities!  Crazy.

Anyhow, the program in Greece shares many similarities to that in Minnesota.  I have never done debate, but I found some striking similarities to mock trial, so it really felt like a natural bridge to cross.  We had around 60 high school debaters that I worked with at different points throughout the year, as well as a group of 16 middle school students that I worked with for about two hours every Tuesday.  Oh yes, middle school students in a class-like setting after a full school day.  That brought back all kinds of great memories.

I also worked with the speech portion of the team, specifically with persuasive speeches.  These kids were fun to work with, taking on topics such as poverty, privacy, perfectionism, phones, and many other.  All of this culminated with the Panhellenic Forensics Association Tournament, hosted at our school for teams from 18 schools across the country.  This four-day tournament and the planning of it kept me at school late into the night in February and March, but it paid off in the end.  We won the team trophy, and we were the only school with finalists in every event!  Not too bad!


No comments:

Post a Comment